Michael Maloney, Assistant Director of the Massachusetts Region IV Science Fair, received “Educator of the Week” honors at the Sunday, September 30 Patriots football game through Cubist Pharmaceuticals’ Science Education Leadership Award program.
According to Somerville High School Assistant Principal Sebastian LaGambina, who nominated Mike for the honor, “Michael is an absolutely fabulous physics teacher… probably the best educator I’ve seen in almost 30 years of education.”
Mike’s recent accomplishments include:
- Developing an ePortfolio template that will be implemented school-wide, in which all 1,300 students will have an electronic portfolio for displaying their best work.
- Spending many hours of his own time developing a resource page to assist teachers and students with their ePortfolios.
- Developing an honors-level Engineering course that has more than 40 students enrolled.
- Serving as advisor to both the Science League Advisor and the Yearbook Advisor.
- Mentoring physics interns from Tufts University.
Throughout the Patriots football season, a “Teacher of the Week” will be recognized and have his/her name read on-air during the New England Patriots radio broadcast. At the end of the season, one of these teachers will be selected as the recipient of the Cubist Science Education Leadership Award and win $5,000 for the teacher’s school science department.
Congratulations, Mike on this well-deserved honor!