In this section you will find all of the forms necessary to enter the 2014 Massachusetts State Science & Engineering Fair. To ensure cross-platform compatibility and to make downloading as fast as possible all of the forms are available as Adobe PDF files. When printing please chose NONE for the Print Scaling Option (on the Print Settings Window).
Form Selection & Usage
Refer to the Massachusetts State Science & Engineering Fair Student Checklist (1A), Research Plan, Consent Form Checklist, and Manual for proper and appropriate use of these forms. It is the responsibility of participating schools, teachers and students to make additional copies of these forms as needed.
Documents for download
- General Instructions for MSSEF Forms
- MSSEF Ethics Statement
- Consent Form Checklist
- Individual Student Checklist (1A) & Research Plan Student Checklist, Research Plan, & Safety Review for Individual Projects Every student must fill out this entire form before beginning project experimentation.
- Team Student Checklist (1A) & Research Plan Student Checklist, Research Plan, & Safety Review for Team Projects Every team must fill out this entire form before beginning project experimentation
- Form 1 - Checklist for Teacher/Adult Sponsor This completed form is required for ALL projects and must be completed before experimentation
- Form 1B - Approval Form A completed form is required for each student, including all team members.
- Form 1C - Registered Research Institutional/Industrial Setting Form This form must be completed after experimentation by the adult supervising the student research conducted in a regulated research institution, industrial setting or any other work site other than home, school or field.
- Form 2 - Qualified Scientist Form May be required for research involving human subjects, vertebrate animals, potentially hazardous biological agents, and DEA-controlled Substances. Must be completed and signed before the start of student experimentation.
- Form 3 - Risk Assessment Form Required for projects using hazardous chemicals, activities or devices. Must be completed before experimentation.
- Form 4 - Human Subjects Form & Informed Consent Form Required for all research involving humans. SRC/IRB approval required before experimentation.
- Form 5A - Vertebrate Animal Form Required for all research involving vertebrate animals that is conducted in a Non-Regulated Research Site. SRC approval required before experimentation.
- Form 5B - Vertebrate Animal Form Required for all research involving vertebrate animals that is conducted in a Regulated Research Institution. SRC/IACUC approval required before experimentation.
- Form 6A - Potentially Hazardous Biological Agents Form Required for all research involving microorganisms, rDNA and fresh/frozen tissue, blood and body fluids. SRC/IACUC/IBC approval required before experimentation.
- Form 6B - Human and Vertebrate Animal Tissue Form Required for all projects using fresh tissue, primary cell cultures, blood, blood products and body fluids. If the research involves living organisms, please ensure that the proper human or animal forms are completed. All projects using any tissue listed above, must also complete Form 6A.
- Form 7 - Continuation Projects Form Required for projects that are a continuation in the same field of study from a previous project. This form should be accompanied by the previous year's abstract, Form (1A) and Research Plan. Use this form for projects done in 2007-2008.
- Form 7 Continued - Continuation Projects Form Required for projects that are a continuation in the same field of study from a previous project. This form should be accompanied by the previous year's abstract, Form (1A) and Research Plan. Use this form for projects done in 2006-2007.
How to Submit
Submit COPIES of the Student Checklist (1A) , Research Plan, Approval From (1B) and Checklist for Teacher (1) and and other consent forms as necessary to the Regional SRC for your area. Check with your Regional Fair SRC for exact dates and deadlines or visit the Regional Fair page. The SRC Committee meets first week of each month. Contact the MSSEF Scientific Review & Safety Committee Representatives for further assistance.
Note: Students are expected to participate in all events of the two-day high school Massachusetts State Science & Engineering Fair at MIT. Students are encouraged to schedule their SAT & AP exams to avoid any conflicts with the Fair schedule (read policy here). If this is not possible, students should take these exams in the Cambridge/Boston area so they may arrive at the Fair on time. High school guidance counselors can advise students about how to arrange to take these exams away from students’ respective schools. All students must be present for the public showcase of projects at 12:30 P.M. on the Saturday of the Fair.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION OR OTHER INQUIRIES: firstname.lastname@example.org MSSEF Scientific Review Committee 955 Massachusetts Avenue, #350 Cambridge, MA 02139